Saturday, June 13, 2009

American Sign Language is NOT Universal



This video explains that American Sign Language is used in America and most of Canada, but that every country, in general, has their own unique sign language. If you know ASL and you travel to, say, Britain, you will not understand their sign language, because they use British Sign Language. As such, there is Mexican Sign Language, Australian Sign Language, French Sign Language, Japanese Sign Language, etc. All are different. Thus, ASL is not universal.

3 comments:

  1. So, did you went to Deaflympic and meet lot of deaf people from other countries? I did and it was amazing to see unique sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specially the last
    part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    Also visit my blog post - Sign Language Courses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anon!Glad it helped you out a bit.

    ReplyDelete