Saturday, September 26, 2009

A TRIP TO SCHOOL



Yesterday morning, Kenny and I had the pleasure of visiting Byron Center Charter School to discuss deafness and hearing loss with the 5th and 6th graders. It was SO much fun! We didn't have a lot of time, but I signed (Kenny spoke) about terminology, myths, how we use all the neat technology, sign language (if course) and lipreading. I then gave them a paper with dB levels and what they can do to your hearing. On the flip side was the manual alphabet.

The thing I loved the most about this group was that they all had questions and many of them were so adorable. I met a boy who knew a friend who only caould hear six words. LOL They were specific words, too. I think he meant he could only SIGN them, but he was pretty adamant about the fact that he could only hear them. Go figure!

Many of the kids knew a little sign and were excited to share. I got asked the usual:

"Can you drive?"
"Do your hands get tired?"
"Can you work?"
"How can you talk?" (I spoke for a short time to describe something Kenny wasn't comfortable interpreting for me)

When I told them I could drive, one boy asked how I was supposed to hear a horn honking at me. I told him the truth: I'm a perfect driver and would never need to worry about that. LOL

All in all, it really made my day. Good group and good fun.

1 comment:

  1. I love kids! My son is deaf and the questions we get are so honest and without bias. Most are funny to us but we contain our giggles

    ReplyDelete